ORANGE, Calif., July 7, 2021 / -- The Los Angeles – San Diego – San Luis Obispo (LOSSAN) Rail Corridor Agency, which manages the Amtrak® Pacific Surfliner® service, encourages passengers to plan ahead when traveling by train in Southern California.
As the state of California has reopened and is moving forward to rebuild tourism and promote travel, Pacific Surfliner passengers are encouraged to follow safety measures and any important public health recommendations in place during their trip and at their destination. Per federal law and Amtrak policy, face coverings must still be worn while onboard trains and in stations.
"Summer is a great time to travel and we're seeing steady increases in our ridership," said LOSSAN Agency Chairman Dana Reed. "As a result, we've added more trips to the Pacific Surfliner schedule as a first step toward service restoration and have implemented measures to manage capacity during peak-travel weekends."
Service was recently expanded for Pacific Surfliner trains and the LOSSAN Agency has planned for the busy summer travel season by making temporary adjustments to manage capacity, including requiring reservations to ride Pacific Surfliner trains on certain holiday weekends and special event dates.
Pacific Surfliner encourages riders to take the appropriate precautions when planning trips this summer and beyond. Recommendations for planning your next trip include:
- Plan Ahead: Fridays and Sundays are typically the busiest travel days on the Pacific Surfliner. If your travel plans allow, ride midweek or midday when it’s less crowded. To safely manage capacity during periods when more travelers are anticipated, customers will need a reservation to travel during opening weekend of Del Mar Races (July 16 – July 19, 2021) and Labor Day Weekend (September 3 – September 7, 2021). More dates may be added where a reservation is required, depending on travel demand throughout the summer. For the latest information, please visit PacificSurfliner.com/schedules.
- Take Advantage of SoCal Savings: California Everyday Discounts offer year-round savings on Pacific Surfliner travel for children, students, seniors, riders with disabilities, U.S. military, and veterans. Save 15% or more on Pacific Surfliner trips when you book with a promotion code. Visit PacificSurfliner.com/discounts for more details.
- Plan Mindfully: Passengers should familiarize themselves with local regulations and community concerns for each travel destination as well as current travel policies in effect for Pacific Surfliner trains. Many destinations offer abundant outdoor experiences that can provide memorable getaways.
- Travel Contact-Free: Pacific Surfliner offers online and mobile ticketing for a contactless traveler experience. Postponing trips is made easier with electronically saved tickets. Unreserved tickets can be used up to one year from the date on the ticket. Learn more about flexible ticketing policies.
- Be Conscientious: Follow safety procedures in the station and onboard. Face masks must be worn at all times. Passengers are encouraged to use the antibacterial wipes provided onboard to keep surfaces at your seat clean, and sanitize or wash hands often.
- Support Local Businesses: Visiting communities across Southern California can aid in the recovery of local economies by shopping and dining at local businesses. Many businesses have taken special steps to enhance safety procedures and offer unique experiences that accommodate health guidelines.
- Stay Connected: Follow the Pacific Surfliner on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram for news, trip ideas, photos, and more. Once onboard, browse social media and your favorite websites thanks to free Wi-Fi, and keep your devices charged by plugging into the power outlets at every window seat.
Visit the Pacific Surfliner website for additional information to plan your next trip.
About the Amtrak® Pacific Surfliner®
The Pacific Surfliner travels along a 351-mile coastal rail route through San Diego, Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties, serving 27 stations. It is the busiest state-supported intercity passenger rail route in the United States. To learn more and plan a trip, visit pacificsurfliner.com.
About the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency
The Los Angeles – San Diego – San Luis Obispo (LOSSAN) Rail Corridor Agency is a joint powers authority composed of rail owners, operators and planning agencies along the entire LOSSAN rail corridor. In addition to working to improve passenger rail ridership, revenue, on- time performance, operational flexibility, and safety, the LOSSAN Agency assumed management responsibility for the Pacific Surfliner service in July 2015, following the execution of an interagency transfer agreement with the state of California. For more information, visit lossan.org.
For More Information:
Emilia Doerr, LOSSAN Agency, firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Lanzi, The ACE Agency, email@example.com
On behalf of LOSSAN Agency